Monday, January 18, 2010

the missing man

"All the lives we could live, all the people we will never know, never will be, they are everywhere. That is what the world is."

- Aleksandar Hemon, the lazarus project



On a Day Trip to Georgetown, I came across a missing man. I walked past his shoes, turned around, and went back; there sat (or stood, should I say) his shoes, but the man was no where to be found. In true Tripper-style, I took a picture of the shoes in case I came across the man. As of now, he is still missing.

Continuing on my own way, I began to think of people's missing pieces, or missing people who leave behind their pieces. In all the world, people lose and find pieces every minute - We lose and find each other... We lose and find ourselves. Some people lose love; others lose maps. Some people lose people; others lose keys. Some lose direction; others lose their shoes. But it is in losing and getting lost that one finds and is found...

As for the man - maybe he needed better fitting shoes. As for the shoes - I went back yesterday to see if they were still there, and they weren't. New man maybe? I may never meet this missing man, and I definitely will never live in his shoes.... but we did cross paths on the sidewalk one day. Everywhere are missing people that you and I will never know, but that's the beauty of the world.

SO, here's to getting lost and being found...

Get lost,
GTB

No comments:

Post a Comment